Materialist Learns Art

So we have a materialistic culture, right?  I mean, in our free time, we go to the mall.  We don't pray or get together with others and vision.  In general, I'm talking.  Of course there are groups that pray and groups that vision.  The dominant culture goes to the mall.  In fact, we think it's patriotic to shop.  It supports the nation's economy 

What's up with that? Isn't it a whole lifestyle that continually says "Happiness is outside you." Or,  [Whatever-you-seek] is outside you.

And what's the result?  Everybody runs around with an impossible-to-slake HUNGER. No matter how many things I get, how many people entertain me, how extreme is my travel, it is never enough. Many of us are overweight as well. It's that same hunger affecting body and mind.

So, when one of us tries to learn art, we're still looking for the secret to OUR great talent OUTSIDE in the art supplies used by the better artist.  If I just have the same pen, the same ink, the same brand of watercolor paint, the same travel kit, my art will be better.

Really?

Whose eyes are seeing?  According to whose taste is the subject chosen?  Whose feelings sneak into every aspect of the result?

No matter how many art supplies I own, only continuing to try, continuing to challenge myself with one more sketch today, will more emerge in my art from what's unique about me and how only I, with my life experience, see the world,

Comments

  1. Got here via Sketchbook Skool on FB. Couldn't agree more!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Thanks, Danny

Pleased by People